Tonight I added animation effects to this finished piece. Some charged particles around the magic shield and some light and fire effects for the skeleton monster. I must say I am pretty happy with how it turned out. I enjoy a good gothic genre every once and a while and it’s a nice start as we get closer to Halloween. More monsters to come.
For those who follow my blog, I referenced my last two blog posts of this design so that folks can see how this piece evolved from early drawing to the animated final. Hopefully everyone out there reading these finds this helpful.
What did I learn?
From my first post, I learned to spend more time on the composition. I had a very good idea about what I wanted the composition shape to be and where I wanted the focal point. However, I did not consider the layering of the background and the effect that would have on the rest of the composition. Too much detail and you lose where you want your viewers to look first. Too little and it gets a bit muddy.
In my second post, I went back through and added/modified/removed line details. I saw where my inking lines did not start and end at a specific point…they just ended leaving my shapes open instead of closed. I corrected this by going over them with a larger pen closing any gaps I may have overlooked. I added more detail to the ground, better analyzed where the shadows are supposed to be and added highlights. I love to highlight.
Finally, tonight I added in 24 animation cells and exported the final into an easy to view .gif. .GIF files seem to be much smaller and much easier to upload than exporting an .avi would be. So, I will be using them more often.
Have a good evening. Thanks for following my blog and I hope that you find information and inspiration when needed!